Buckeye Blossoms Quilt Guild
May 7, 2014
President Pat P. called the regular meeting of the Buckeye Blossoms Quilt Guild to order at MidPoint Library. There were 29 members and no guests present.
Pat announced that Linda B. is now a proud grandmother to Natalie, born April 30. She also noted that Gerri H.’s name was left off of the membership directory. Pat gave Gerri’s contact information to the group.
The Secretary’s minutes were read. Florence S. made a motion to accept the minutes as read, seconded by Jacque H. Motion passed.
Patty C. presented the Treasurer’s report. Norma G. made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report as presented, seconded by Peggy P. Motion passed.
Activity Committee: Gina reported that a down payment has been made for the bus trip to Lawrenceburg, Indiana for their quilt show on September 19. She estimates the cost to be approximately $25 per participant. We must cancel 30 days prior to the event to get a refund of our deposit. She should have everything finalized by next month. You will have to register for classes on your own.
Charity Quilts: Information is now on Wiki about the Quilt of Valor we will be working on as a group at our Saturday Sew in July. The pattern in sin Fons & Porter, May/June 2013 issue. Kathy Saunders coordinator for the Southwest Ohio Quilts of Valor will be the speaker at our July 9 meeting. You can go to their facebook page for more information.
Pat suggested to the members that the guild purchase the fabric for the quilt instead of asking each member to bring in fabric. There was discussion on the dollar limit to spend from the treasury on this project. We would need members to bring in their fabric to the June meeting if the membership decides to use fabric from the members.
Peggy P. made a motion to that we should allow an amount, not to exceed $300, from the guild treasury to purchase fabric for the Quilt of Valor project. Seconded by Louise S. A vote was taken and the motion passed.
Pat volunteered to be part of the fabric selection team.
There have been some requests from the community expressing interest in our guild. They want to learn more about the guild but we don’t have any presence on the internet. Pat has talked with Linda L. and Cindy D. about setting up a website. Linda gave a short synopsis of the options. We could open up Wiki to the public, but we would have to remove all personal information (such as our membership directory). It would be too hard to maintain two sites, Wiki and a website. She asked for any suggestions. We could just set up an e-mail account and have a couple of members monitor and answer e-mails.
Saturday Sew will be this coming Saturday. See Wiki for more details.
Our Guild picnic will be on June 4 at Smith Park at 6 PM. Pat has the community room at the library reserved for our meeting in case of inclement weather. She will send out an e-mail if the picnic will be moved to the library. Bring a covered dish, tableware, utensils and a drink. Don’t forget your pizza box block. Be prepared to have a good time.
Our June Saturday sew will be on June 7 at the Little Shop of Stitches in Miamisburg. They currently can accommodate 10 machines but they are in the process of adding more tables for us. Pat will get a count at the picnic of those who want to sew at the shop. The shop’s hours are 10 AM to 4 PM.
Mary S. reminded anyone who has a problem with the pizza box challenge to let her know. She will be glad to help anyone.
Anna S. made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Florence S. Meeting adjourned.
Respectfully submitted,
Karen C., Secretary
Show and tell followed the meeting.
Mary S. presented a short program on various ways to make half square triangles. Our Saturday Sew project will be a four hour quilt using one of the half square triangle techniques.